Saturday, October 6, 2012

Superstitions

A superstition is the belief or notion that isn't based on reason or supporting facts. (dictionary.com)  We all have superstitions, one of the most common that I can think of is the black cat crossing your path.  There are others and here are a few of the weirdest that I've come across...


  • A bird in the house is a sign of death.  (Never heard this before!)
  • A horseshoe in the bedroom will keep the nightmares away.  (I always had a dream catcher)
  • A broken mirror is seven years bad luck
  • The number 13 just has one heck of a bad rep!
  • Apparently, giving a knife as a gift to just about anyone is bad luck.  A neighbor will become your enemy, a lover will leave you, etc...
  • The spouse to go to sleep first on the wedding day will be the first to die.
There are literally thousands, even some for acorns...
Anyways, you can find a big list at bored.com



And then there are those that I do without thinking...


  • I always throw a pinch if salt over my shoulder if I spill some.
  • I sometimes find myself avoiding cracks in the floor (Don't want to break my mother's back!)
  • I don't open umbrellas in the house (although I think that's more because I'm scared I'll break stuff)
  • I have seen who I'll marry by twisting the stem off an apple.  (I'm still waiting....)
  • I once threw a stolen dish towel in the woods to get rid of warts (I used to have them on my knee and thumbs).  (Hey, I was eight!)  It didn't work, although, when I rubbed my mothers pregnant belly...Viola! They went away!
Don't forget:
The Witch's Birthday Brew will be out on October 20, 2012!
A Game of Cat & Mouse will be out on November 15, 2012 and there are three ways to get your hands on an ARC copy.  Check out www.astridcielo.com for more information!



No comments:

Post a Comment