Thursday, September 27, 2012

Guest Interview: Riley-Kate Chase

I'm honored to have Riley-Kate Chase, author of Special Treatment, here with me today to answer some questions!  

Q: Hi, Riley, how are you?

A: I'm doing fine!  I'm glad to be here today.

Q: When and why did you begin writing?

A: I had an awesome teacher in junior high school who fed my love of writing and I’ve enjoyed it since then. I took my college English classes before I graduated high school and knew then that it was something I must enjoy.

Q:When did you first consider yourself a writer?

A: I don’t have any degrees or experience so I wouldn’t classify myself as one at all I guess. I enjoy writing but I’m not sure that makes me a writer. I would love to talk to some actual writers and pick their brain though.

Q: What inspired you to write your first book?

A: I’ve always been an avid reader and after reading book upon book, I decided that I could do this. I started it more just to see what would become of it but I felt it ended rather well. I will be the first to admit that I focus on spelling but punctuation is not my strong point. I love to put commas where they do not go and forget to put them where they should. It’s a terrible habit that I’ve never been able to break.

Q: Do you have a specific writing style? 

A: Yes and no. I’d like to try my hand at different genre’s but I will give a big spoiler by letting you know that any book, or attempt at a book, will always end well. I think the world is a depressing enough place with violence, hunger and the like, so books should be an escape; a place to take you away from the stresses of everyday life. 

Q: How did you come up with the title?

A: I thought about it for a while and I love sarcasm and irony. It just seemed to fit.

Q: How much of the book is realistic?

A: Absolutely none of it. My brain is a busy place and my imagination runs on full force a lot of the time. I see things throughout the day and think to myself, “wouldn’t it be sweet if..” or “wouldn’t it be funny if...” and I build off that.

Q: What books have most influenced your life most?

A: I love Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, Little Women and the like. Those were books from a very different time. I love a time when hand holding and subtle gestures meant so much. When just a look from two characters in a book can give you butterflies in your stomach or increase your heart rate.

Q: If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

A: That’s a tough one. I guess it would be Jane Austen.

Q: What book are you reading now?
A: I’m rereading several such as The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and The Hunger Games

Q: Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?
A: Lauren Dane. She is new to me and has an all American type of writing. I’m a romantic at heart.

Q: What are your current projects?

A: I have one untitled but it is another related to the healthcare field in a completely different way. What can I say? I’m a nurse. It’s what I know.

Q: Do you see writing as a career?

A: I would love to say yes but it’s more of a hobby. With two children, a full time job and two part time jobs, I only write in that odd spare moment of free time.

Q: Do you have to travel much concerning your book(s)?

A: Only as far as my imagination takes me.

Q: Who designed the covers?

A: The wonderful T.J. She is a fellow nurse and writer who takes pity on me and my coverless books. 

Q: What was the hardest part of writing your book? 

A: Finding the uninterrupted time to do it.

Q: Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

A: I hope it didn’t suck too bad and to stick with me. I should improve with time and I am open to constructive criticism. Hope you enjoy the book!

Thank you, Riley!  You can find Special Treatment @ Amazon!

Buffalo Wyoming seems like a good place to make a new start. As a city girl, Peyton is looking for somewhere to heal, not physically but emotionally. Working at a small local hospital as a nurse with her boisterous roommate and new best friend, things are going great until one patient and his family turn her life upside down. Mrs. Jacobs begs Peyton to be their live in nurse for a while when they realize that daily treatments will be a requirement for a member of their family. Unable to say no, she moves right in the middle of this ranching family with three grown and handsome sons, a couple of which have their sights set on her. A sizzling romantic roller coaster with a splash of humor ensues when Peyton's sweet nature and inexperience make her a prime target. Will the all time bad boy run when he finds out whats wrong with her?


No comments:

Post a Comment